Skip Navigation  











Security Deposit Program

Moving and Need Help with that Security Deposit?

The Security Deposit Program offers eligible individuals and families assistance with a portion of their security deposit.

The Security Deposit Program is available to eligible renters in the City of Santa Cruz and the City of Capitola. This program can’t reimburse a renter for a security deposit that has already been paid, and payments cannot be made after taking occupancy of your new unit. Applicants must be determined to be eligible before moving in. This program is administered by the Housing Authority of the County of Santa Cruz on behalf of the jurisdictions.

Note: This program is not currently available within the city limits of Watsonville, the City of Scotts Valley, or in the unincorporated areas of the county.

How Much Money Can I Get For A Security Deposit?

The program provides assistance for an amount up to one month’s rent.

What Happens To The Security Deposit When I Move?

The security deposit assistance that you may receive from this program is to be considered a loan during the time that you occupy the unit.  When you move, you will be required to return the full amount of the security deposit assistance to the Housing Authority in the form of a check made out to the specific jurisdiction in which you were living.

If you return the security deposit assistance in full, you will be eligible to participate in the security deposit assistance program again in the future. 

How Much Income Can I Have To Qualify?

The household income cannot exceed the following guidelines, depending on where the unit being rented is located, and the number of people in the household: 

Please note that income limits change annually.  The income limits in the table below were updated February 2014.

Household Size Income Limits
1 $56,500
2 $64,550
3 $72,600
4 $80,650
5 $87,150
6 $93,600
7 $100,050
8 $106,500

*County is the unincorporated area and includes Davenport/Bonny Doon, San Lorenzo Valley, Live Oak, and Aptos/Soquel, Freedom, etc. 

How Do I Apply?

First, you must find the unit that you would like to rent.  An application for the security deposit program cannot be processed until you have located a unit.

Next, you will need to fill out a security deposit application form, available by calling the Security Deposit Program at (831) 454-5977. 

The application will require you to provide information about income, assets, and other family information.  Additionally, you will be required to provide documentation of all of the income you report:

  • We will need copies of pay stubs, W-2s, tax returns and any other forms of income you receive. 
  • A checklist of required documents is attached to the application form.  Documents needed for the eligibility process must be submitted with your application.               

Applications for this program will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Call the Housing Authority at (831)454-5977 for more information.

Si desea una traducción en español, por favor llame al (831) 454-9455.



2931 Mission St. • Santa Cruz, CA 95060-5709 • (831)454-9455 • TDD: (831)469-0122
Fax: (831)469-3712 • Hollister: (831)637-0487 • E-mail:
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

©2007 Housing Authority of the County of Santa Cruz. All rights reserved.